James Francis Whitten 272
- Born: 8 April 1912, Farmington, Franklin County, Maine 272
- Marriage: Ernestine Louise Merrill about 1935
- Died: 5 October 1997, Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts at age 85 6093,6094
- Buried: After 5 October 1997, Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts at Salisbury Pointe Cemetery 3982
October 8, 1997
James F. Whitten, 85 Amesbury doctor, former coroner
Dr. James F. Whitten, 85, of Amesbury, a general practitioner and medical examiner for Essex County for many years, died Sunday in Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport.
Dr. Whitten was born in Farmington, Maine. He graduated from the University of Maine at Orono and Harvard Medical School.
A veteran of the Army Air Corps during World War II, he practiced in Amesbury until his retirement in the late 1970s and was a member of the staff at Amesbury Hospital.
He leaves a daughter, Chrisjean Whitten Tiberti of Amesbury; a son, Dana M. of Belfast, Maine; three grandchildren and a great-grandson.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Main Street Congregational Church in Amesbury. Burial is private.
• He appeared on the census in 1920 in Farmington, Franklin County, Maine. He lived in the household of his widowed mother.
• He appeared on the census in 1930 in Farmington, Franklin County, Maine. He lived in the household of his widowed mother.
• He appeared on the census in 1940 at 63 Prospect Street in Amesbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He was head of household and rented for $30 monthly. His widowed mother-in-law lived in the home as well.
James married Ernestine Louise Merrill, daughter of Julian H. Merrill and Grace Clare McGouldrick, about 1935. (Ernestine Louise Merrill was born 20 November 1912 in Machias, Washington County, Maine 6095,6096 and died 3 February 1996 in Newburyport, Essex County, Massachusetts 6097.)