Mary Virginia Epley
- Born: 8 August 1915, Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois 6720
- Marriage: Richard Thomas Goff 29 August 1942 in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois 6720
- Died: 24 March 1998, Tucson, Pima County, Arizona at age 82 6720
- Crem.: After 24 March 1998, Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois at Knoxville Cemetery 6720
The Peoria Journal Star
Saturday, March 28, 1998
KNOXVILLE -- Mary Virginia Goff, 82, of 105 Park St. died at 3:25 p.m. Tuesday, March 24, 1998, at her winter home in Tucson, Ariz.
Born Aug. 8, 1915, in Knoxville to Charles E. and Jennie Evans Epley, she married Richart T. Goff on Aug. 29, 1942, in Knoxville. He died April 22, 1993. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Gordon (Jennifer) Johnson of East Peoria and Julianne Goff of Tucson; and two grandsons.
She graduated from Knox College in Galesburg in 1936 and did graduate work at several Illinois universities.
She was a teacher in Varna and Knoxville and later worked for Illinois Bell in Chicago. She taught Latin and English at Churchill and Lombard junior high schools in Galesburg for 17 years.
She was a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority at Knox College and its alumni group. She was president of the sorority her senior year. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Mortar Board at Knox College.
She was a life member of First United Presbyterian Church in Knoxville. She also served on the Library Board and School Board in Knoxville.
She was a former member of the Visiting Nurse Association Board, St. Mary's Auxiliary Board, Delta Kappa Gamma and the Educational Honorary Society for Teachers. She volunteered at St. Mary Medical Center in Galesburg.
She was a member of Chapter AM of the PEO Sisterhood. She was an associate member of Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Tucson.
A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Friday at First United Presbyterian Church. The Rev. R. Lane Andrist will officiate. There will be no visitation. Private burial of cremains will be in Knoxville Cemetery. Arrangements are by Hurd-Hendricks Funeral Home.
Memorials may be made to either church.
• She appeared on the census in 1920 in Knox, Knox County, Illinois. She lived in the household of her parents.
• She appeared on the census in 1930 in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois. She lived in the household of her widowed mother. A roomer named Margaret S. Christy lived in the home, aged 22.
Mary married Richard Thomas Goff, son of Harry Goff and Bessie Thomas, 29 August 1942 in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois.6720 (Richard Thomas Goff was born 19 November 1915 in Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois,6721 died 22 April 1993 in Tucson, Pima County, Arizona 6720,6721 and was buried after 22 April 1993 in Knoxville, Knox County, Illinois at Knoxville Cemetery 6721.)