Dr. Calvin Springer Hall Jr. 6950,6951
- Born: 18 January 1909, Seattle, King County, Washington 3114,3115
- Marriage: Irene Hannah Sanborn
- Died: 4 April 1985, Santa Cruz County, California at age 76 3116
Cause of his death was cancer.
Thursday, March 21, 1957
WRU's 'Dream Expert' Is Going To Syracuse
Calvin S. Hall, noted Western Reserve University "dream" professor, will leave there for a professorship at Syracuse University, it was learned yesterday.
Prof. Hall, who came to Reserve 20 years ago at 28 to head its then infant psychology department, has become better known here this year through television.
On Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays he appears on WEWS as instructor in Reserve's telecourse on personality and adjustment.
He said yesterday better pay and shorter teaching hours influence his decision to go to Syracuse as a full psychology professor.
Last January, a book he co-authored with a Syracuse professor, Gardner Lindzey, was published by the World Publishing Co. It was "Theories of Personality."
Dr. Hall is a native of Seattle. He received his bachelor's and doctorate degree from the University of California.
He taught in the psychology department at the University of Oregon for four years before joining the Reserve faculty.
He has become well known in his work in dream interpretation. One of his books, "The Meaning of Dreams," has been translated into Dutch and is a popular paper-back book in Holland.
Dr. Hall is president of the Ohio Psychological Association and also heads the infant Sigmund Freud Society of Cleveland.
His wife, Irene, heads the science faculty at Laurel School. Their daughter, Dovre, is a freshman at Oberlin College. They live at 6212 Wilson Mills Road, Mayfield.
• He appeared on the census in 1930 in Berkeley, Alameda County, California. He was a roomer in the home of Harold J. Stevenson and was a student at the University of California at Berkeley.
• He appeared on the census in 1940 at 3469 Tullanose in University Heights, Cuyahoga County, Ohio. He was head of household and rented for $70 monthly.
• He was educated at University of California where he received his bachelors and doctorate degrees.
Calvin married Irene Hannah Sanborn, daughter of Charles Sumner Sanborn and Mary Howard Lindsay. (Irene Hannah Sanborn was born 18 August 1902 in Monmouth, Kennebec County, Maine,3110 died 16 August 1984 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio 3111,3112 and was buried 21 August 1984 3113.)