Herbert Sumner Sleeper M.D. 863,1870,1881
- Born: 15 April 1865, Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine 1873,1874
- Marriage: Minnie Etta Stinchfield 15 December 1897 in Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine 863,1870
- Died: 18 May 1922, Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine at age 57 1873,1874
- Buried: 21 May 1922, Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine at Mount Pleasant Cemetery 1873,1874
Cause of his death was angina pectoris.
Herbert first married Carrie Walton on January 11, 1894 in Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine. A couple years after Carried died in 1895, he married Minnie E. Stinchfield.
Lewiston Daily Sun
May 19, 1922
DR. H.S. SLEEPER
DEATH OF PROMINENT LEWISTON
PHYSICIAN OCCURRED THURDAY MORNING
A large circle of friends and professional associates of Dr. H.S. Sleeper were shocked yesterday to hear of his sudden death at his home 770 Main Street. His death came very suddenly about 9 o'clock as he was in his usual good health when he [closed?] for the morning. Attending physicians who were hastily summoned when he was stricken pronounced his death due to angina pectoris.
Dr. Sleeper was born in the house where he died 57 years ago, his parents being among the first residents of Lewiston. He was educated in the public schools here being graduated from the High school in 1882 and from Bates College in 1886. In 1891, he completed his course in the medical department of the University of Vermont. He then practiced his profession for nine years at Washburn, Aroostook County.
He then came to Lewiston where he has since resided and enjoyed a large practice. For a number of years he has been consulting physician at Bates College and has always manifested a deep interest in the institution and its activities, including sports.
Dr. Sleeper was an unassuming man with a personality that impressed one as being sincere. Cordial and genial, he made friends wherever he went. He was a great lover of nature and understood more of its mysteries than many. As a member of the William Tell Club and physician on their yearly sojourns, he understood the woods and delighted in being in them. Professionally he stood high and had a large practice, which made his life a busy one.
Politically he wsa a Democrat and a candidate for the office of alderman from his ward. He served for several years on the Board of Health. He was a member of Ashlar Lodge of Masons, the Odd Fellows, the Lewiston Lodge of Elks and the Sons of the American Revolution.
He married Miss Minnie Stinchfield of Wales. Besides his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Miss Katherine Sleeper, a student in the Sargent school at Boston.
DIED - In Lewiston, May 18, Herbert S. Sleeper, M.D. Funeral services will be held in his late home, Main Street, Lewiston, Sunday afternoon at 1 o'clock Daylight time. Private. House will be open for friends to call at 11 a.m.to 12:30 p.m. Burial at Wayne, Me.
• He was educated at University of Vermont, College of Medicine in 1891 in Burlington, Chittenden County, Vermont.
• He worked as a physician.
• He appeared on the census in 1910 at 770 Main Street in Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine. He was head of household and property owner. A servant named Theresa Courtney also lived in the home.
• He appeared on the census in 1920 at 770 Main Street in Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine. He was head of household and property owner.
• He had a residence in Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine.
Herbert married Minnie Etta Stinchfield, daughter of John Clark Stinchfield and Catherine H. Graves, 15 December 1897 in Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine 863.,1870 (Minnie Etta Stinchfield was born 3 January 1868 in Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine,1871,1872 died 16 September 1930 in Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine 1871,1872 and was buried after 16 September 1930 in Wayne, Kennebec County, Maine at Mount Pleasant Cemetery 1871.)