Lenora L. Lindsay 599
- Born: 24 March 1918, Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine 599
- Marriage: Roscoe Lesley Clifford 25 June 1941 in Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine 426
- Died: 5 January 2009, Lewiston, Androscoggin County, Maine at age 90
- Buried: After 5 January 2009, Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine at Gracelawn Memorial Park
Tuesday, July 11, 1991
Golden Anniversary is Celebrated
AUBURN - A recent golden wedding anniversary celebration honoring Roscoe and Lenora Clifford was attended by more than 80 friends and relatives at their home at 95 Davis Ave.
Arrangements were made by their children and spouses, Glendon and Susan Clifford of North Amity; Richard and Lois Lavoie of Merrimack, N.H.; and William and Sharon Gray of Windham.
The anniversary cake, decorated by their daughter, Susan Gray, was topped with the same gold ornament that had been used in 1965 on the 50th anniversary cake of his parents, Raymond and Monona Clifford.
The couple were married June 25, 1941, in Leeds at the home of her parents, Harry and Edna Addition Lindsay.
Mrs. Clifford graduated from Leavitt Institute in 1935 and from Bliss Business College in 1938 and taught for three years in the Maine high schools of Brooklin and Bridgton. She is a member of the Auburn United Methodist Church.
Mr. Clifford graduated from Edward Little High School in 1936 and served as Auburn city engineer, Auburn city planner and highway superintendent and as city manager of Calais. He retired in 1978 from his position as superintendent of grounds and services of the University of Maine, Orono. He is a member of Tranquil Lodge and Kora Temple and a former member of the Auburn Exchange Club, the Old Town Rotary Club and the University of Maine Credit Union.
Guests were present from Lewiston, Auburn, Saco, Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Bangor, Windham, Cundy's Harbor, Amity, Gardiner, Portland, Sabattus, Greene, Leeds; and Merrimack and Rochester, N.H.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Lenora Lindsay Clifford
LEWISTON - Lenora L. Clifford, a resident of Schooner Estates, Auburn, died Monday, Jan. 5, at Central Maine Medical Center after a brief illness.
She was born on March 24, 1918, in Leeds, a daughter of Harry and Edna (Additon) Lindsay. She was a 1936 graduate of Leavitt Institute, and furthered her education at Bliss Business College.
She was a devoted wife, mother and homemaker. She married the love of her life, Roscoe Clifford in 1941, and together they celebrated more than 53 years of marriage, until he predeceased her in 1994.
She was very involved in church activities starting with East Auburn Baptist Church, and later The Second Baptist Church in Calais. She most recently was a member of the United Methodist Church in Auburn. She enjoyed playing bridge, traveling with her husband and spending time with her family.
She is survived by a son, Glendon Clifford of Amity; two daughters, Lois Lavoie and her husband, Richard, of Merrimack, N.H., and Sharon Gray and her husband, William, of Windham; two sisters, Una Kazilionis and her husband, Mike, of Portland and Genice Bugel and her husband, Joseph, of Auburn; a sister-in-law, Doris Clifford-Sansbury of Auburn; six grandchildren; six great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
• She was educated at the Leavitt Institute in 1936. She also attended Bliss Business College.
• She appeared on the census in 1920 in Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine. She lived in the household of her parents and grandparents.
• She appeared on the census in 1930 in Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine. She lived in the household of her parents and grandparents.
• She had a residence in Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine.
• She had a residence at 200 Stetson Road in Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine.
• She was buried at Gracelawn Memorial Park in Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine.
Lenora married Roscoe Lesley Clifford, son of Raymond Leighton Clifford and Monona Cordelia Bailey, 25 June 1941 in Leeds, Androscoggin County, Maine.426 (Roscoe Lesley Clifford was born 2 September 1918 in Minot, Androscoggin County, Maine,1868,1869 died 3 February 1994 in Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine 1868 and was buried after 3 February 1994 in Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine at Gracelawn Memorial Park.)